Who are the Listenwise Advocates?
Listenwise Advocates are a community of educators of grades 5-12 who are passionate about the power of podcasts, public radio, and listening resources as a way to expand student learning. They are power users of Listenwise PREMIUM and want to promote the use of Listenwise in the classroom and spread their love of instructional listening resources. They encourage and inspire fellow educators in the community to use Listenwise.
Meet the Listenwise Advocates
Katie Booth is a middle school master teacher who is currently teaching all content areas. She has been teaching for 6 years after making a career change from the business world, and is loving every minute. She has a Master's Degree in STEAM education, and training in CAASPP and CA NGSS.
Sebastian Byers is a science teacher at Union Early College High School in North Carolina. He is a North Carolina PBS Digital Innovator 2017, panelist for PBS Climate Conversations webinar series, featured in this PBS blog, Instructor at Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth, and Kappa Delta Pi educational honors society member. He is also a Fellow for the North Carolina Science Leadership Association.
Jim Bentley teaches 5th and 6th grade in the Elk Grove School District in California. Jim is a national trainer for the Center for Civic Education, National Faculty for the Buck Institute for Education, a National Geographic Fellow, and Newsela Certified Educator. He won the American Civic Education Teacher Award in 2011.
Dr. Scott Petri is a High School History Teacher in California. He holds a Doctorate in Educational Leadership and a Masters in Educational Administration. He is a board member of the California Council for the Social Studies and the past President of the Southern California Social Studies Association.
Mike Messner is a social studies teacher at Los Altos High School in Los Altos, CA, and an adjunct instructor of California History at Skyline College in San Bruno, CA. He is a Google Certified Educator: Levels 1 & 2; an Advisor to Future Business Leaders of America; blogger and a lifelong audiophile.
Rosemary Miketa is a full time ESL professor at Henry Ford College English Language Institute in Michigan. Teaching English to non-native speakers. She has worked extensively abroad and taught English in Australia, the UK, and Spain. Her passion is working with students and experimenting with hybrid technology delivery.
Listenwise Advocate Benefits and Perks
- Membership in the Listenwise Advocate-only Learning Community
- First look at new product features and opportunity to share feedback directly with Listenwise Instructional Team
- An official Listenwise Advocate digital badge
- Listenwise swag
- Recognition on Listenwise website
- Certificates awarded for contributions
- Optional leadership opportunities, such as writing blog posts, presenting webinars, moderating Twitter chats, and invitations to speak at conferences
Listenwise Advocate Expectations
- Frequently and consistently use Listenwise PREMIUM features with students
- Grow the use of Listenwise in your school by sharing
- ways to integrate with curriculum
- your passion for using Listenwise
- tips for new users
- Share a Teacher Spotlight for the Listenwise Newsletter
- Write a blog post highlighting a strategy taught using a Listenwise story
- Lead the conversation about Listenwise through social media
- Optional: Become district level trainer in your district or region
- Optional: Lead or co-present webinars on integrating Listenwise into teaching, share best practices during webinars.
How to Apply
Join our Advocate team! The process takes about 90 minutes to complete and includes these components:
- Completing an application
- Watching Listenwise video tutorials and answering questions
- Writing a lesson using Listenwise with students
To get started, please fill out the Listenwise Advocate application. Apply by April 20, 2018 to be considered for the Spring 2018 group of Advocates.
Listenwise Advocates will also have the exclusive opportunity to become Listenwise Certified Educators in the future.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.