If your district/school has set up LTI for Schoology, this article will guide you through how to add Listenwise to a Course in Schoology and get started with teacher and student accounts. Share the Student Guide for Schoology to help them get started with Listenwise.
If teachers or students receive an error message when launching Listenwise in Schoology, please reach out to our Support team via this form.
Please see below for important notes before getting started:
- The teacher for the course must launch and set up the course within Listenwise before students can use Listenwise for the course.
- Once a teacher is made a Co-Admin of the course, they will be able to launch Listenwise and set up the Course as a Listenwise class, and then students will be able to launch the tool and become associated with the Listenwise class.
- When using the Listenwise tool for the first time, teachers and students will be asked to set up a new account. If they already have a Listenwise account but have never launched via Schoology, they will be asked to login. This will only need to be done once. After that, teachers and students will be logged in automatically.
- For the best experience please have teachers and students use Listenwise in Schoology via a web browser rather than the Schoology iPad app. We recommend using Chrome rather than Safari.
Add Listenwise to a Course in Schoology
1. Navigate to the course you want to add Listenwise and click Materials tab.
2. Click Add Materials and choose Add File/Link/External Tool from the dropdown.
3. Choose External Tool.
4. You will then complete a form to add Listenwise to your Course. Choose Listenwise from the Tool Provider dropdown. **If Listenwise is not listed as an option, please contact your Schoology admin to have the tool added to your system.
5 .For Title, enter Listenwise
6. For URL, enter https://listenwise.com/lti
7 .Do not change the Consumer Key, Shared Secret and you can leave Customer Parameters blank.
Once you submit the form, you will see the Listenwise tool has been added to the course!
Note, you will need to add Listenwise as an External Tool for each Course you want to use Listenwise with.
Set Up Teacher Account
The first time you launch Listenwise, you will either pair your existing Listenwise account with your Schoology account or create a new Listenwise account. You only need to do this once. See below for instructions for both scenarios:
Pair your existing account:
If you already have a Listenwise account, it will recognize your email and you’ll see a message about merging your accounts. Click Yes, merge my accounts to proceed and pair your account.
Create an account:
If you don’t have a Listenwise account, you will need to complete the form to create an account.
Once you log in, Listenwise will recognize you in Schoology and this password won’t be needed again. If you want to log into listenwise.com, you can use these credentials.
Create Listenwise Class for Schoology Course
1. Once you set up your teacher account and choose your school, you will be prompted to create a Class in Listenwise. The Schoology course name will auto-populate in the Class Name box, and we recommend using this name to keep things consistent between Schoology and Listenwise.
Do you have existing Listenwise classes? If so, you will be asked if you want to pair with an existing Listenwise class. We recommend creating a new class for the Schoology course, so you can skip this step by clicking Add New Class. You’ll then follow the steps from above to create your class.
NOTE: In order to use Listenwise with another course in Schoology, you will need to launch the tool from that course. You’ll follow the same process to create a class and set up Listenwise for that course.
Navigating Listenwise in Schoology
Once you create a class, you will then be directed to your teacher dashboard. From here, you can search the Listenwise content library and listen to stories. You will be able to navigate the Listenwise website within Schoology.
Once you find a story you want to use, you can create customized written assignments or assign auto-graded comprehension quizzes to students. To share assignments with students, direct them to launch Listenwise from the Materials section. More information on the student experience is below!
Explore the Teacher Tools section of the Support Center for more help on creating assignments.
Student Setup in Schoology
Students will automatically see Listenwise listed as a tool in the Materials section of their dashboard once you add it to the course.
The first time they launch Listenwise, they will need to either set up an account or pair an existing Listenwise account. Once they complete this step, they will be enrolled in your class and added to your roster on the Manage Classes tab under your Classes page.
NOTE: they will only need to do this once. Moving forward, Listenwise will automatically recognize them in Schoology.
Once they successfully log in, students will see all of their assignments on their dashboard. They can do assignments, review their work and listen to stories on their own from here.
As a reminder, to share assignments with students, direct them to launch Listenwise from the Materials section. You will not share links with students.