Activity: Allow students to explore Listenwise on their own! Assign students a certain number of current events to listen to for the week and do one of the following activities:
- Respond to a writing prompt (in a Google doc, for example). Every Listenwise story has discussion questions on the Assignment Resources tab.
- Summarize the story using the 5 W’s (who, what, where, when, why).
- Discuss the listening comprehension and/or discussion questions with a partner or small group. (Student interaction is especially important when remote.)
- Enable student-selected quizzing to allow students to listen on their own and take a quiz.
- Set up a Listen-Share-Pair activity or jigsaw activity for partner or small group listening activities.
Learning Objectives: speaking & listening practice, reading & writing practice, SEL, student engagement
Content Suggestions: We post a new Current Event story every day, so there’s always something new to listen to! Debate Friday stories make great choices for prompts that offer practice with written argument.
Instructional Context: Remote/Hybrid/In-Person
Learning Mode: Asynchronous
Total Time: 30-60 minutes
Learn More: Check out this article about student-selected quizzing or watch the below video: